Spinal fusion is where two or more vertebrae are permanently joined, preventing movement between those segments of the spine. This can be advantageous if instability is what caused the back pain, but it does make life more difficult. After surgery, instruction will be given on how to sit, stand, walk, and move in a way that keeps the spine aligned.
Risks of Spinal Fusion
Any surgery has risks. The main ones with spinal fusion are:
- Blood Clots in the Legs
- Respiratory / Breathing Problems
- Heart Attack
- Blood Loss
- Severe Reaction to Medications
Additional surgical risks with spinal fusion are:
- Possible damage to the spinal nerve that can cause muscle weakness, loss of sensation, tingling nerve pain in lower extremities, and even problems with muscles in bowel and bladder.
- Infection may develop in the vertebral bones or in the wound itself.
- Complications may arise from stress caused to the spinal column on either side of the spinal fusion.
Contact Spinal Fusion Attorney
The attorneys at TSR Injury Law want to help. We will fight for compensation to cover medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Call 612-TSR-TIME or submit our contact form.